Whether it’s to drive you to work, power up your electronic devices, fly you to your holiday destination (extraterrestrial or not), or even set up the perfect lighting for this Valentine’s Day, your daily life requires power production. Although renewable energies are gaining popularity, many people remain unprepared to make the complete switch to these innovative power sources (except Iceland). Making the things we have more “energy efficient” or “green” has become an attractive marketing tool for many of businesses.
Our next webinar will be held on February 26th and cover the best industry practices when it comes to power plant redesign. The constant increase of global energy consumption and rising cost of fuel require higher energy generating capacity with a simultaneous improvement of the efficiency of energy conversion processes. The greatest effect of improving the performance of existing power plants and other energy systems can be obtained by modifying the thermodynamic cycles of these plants.
This week marks the official launch of SoftInWay Turbomachinery University – a new online resource for turbomachinery design training. The site, affectionately referred to as ‘STU’, was created after the SoftInWay Learning Center received high demand and positive feedback.
The site was reconstructed and redesigned into a cohesive learning portal, packed with webinars, courses, and software trials. Users can take courses on demand and earn certifications specific to certain topics. The first course focuses on axial turbines, beginning at the basics and continuing on to streamline design and optimization. (more…)
It’s Throwback Thursday and we are sharing another of our past webinars! This week’s is called Centrifugal Compressor Design: Can You Really Avoid Choke and Surge?
Surge and choke are inherent, sophisticated phenomena in centrifugal compressor operation. They limit the operational range of any centrifugal compressor and cause severe damage to the machine if it is in surge condition. Several books cover the development of centrifugal compressor surge and choke models that can be applied in compressor control systems in order to avoid surge and choke; while these methods focus retroactively, there are some proactive methods that can be applied during the design phase of the machine. (more…)
SoftInWay had a spectacular year (more on that to come!) and we are excited for the next! In honor of the New Year, SoftInWay would like to take this opportunity to express our goals for 2015.
Our Resolutions: (more…)
It’s Throwback Thursday which means we have another one of our favorite past webinars! This week’s is called Developing Reliable, High Performance, Advanced 3D Blades. It was the first of three in a special Steam Turbine Series
Since 1884, steam turbines have been exemplary turbomachines that have improved throughout the years with modern design advances. As steam turbines became common, the competition heated up and today efficiency continues to be a hot topic. One trending technique that makes steam turbines most efficient is advanced 3D blading. (more…)
December is already upon us, which mean Power-Gen International is right around the corner. As we finalize preparations, we’d like to share a sneak peek at what we’ll be showing at this year’s conference. SoftInWay has just released a new version of its design, analysis, and optimization software. AxSTREAM V 3.3 consists of enhancements and fully new features to improve the turbomachinery design process. These updates are the result of our client requests and collaborations. Here’s a look at a partial list of the new features:
- Users can now design radial turbines at the conceptual design phase in rotor + stator + volute configurations.
- They can calculate the influence of the heating working fluid through the compressors walls and the option to add radial heat exchangers in the flow path.
- AxSTREAM V 3.3 has a new fluid toolbox allowing the creation of fluid files using NIST-defined pure and mixed fluid, as well as model combustion gases using custom fuels.
- Users can calculate both the interference diagram for various rotation speeds and the stress in sections while accounting for root, shroud, disk, lashing wires, and even splitter blades.
- There is a new library of attachments in AxSTRESS to allow shorter design time due to existing root and the opportunity to update blade geometry while maintaining predefined attachments.
Stop by booth #4854 to learn more about these features! SoftInWay CEO, Dr. Leonid Moroz, will also be speaking at the conference on Wednesday, Dec. 10th at 1:30. He will be presenting his latest paper, “A New Concept to Designing a Combined Cycle Cogeneration Power Plant,” written with SoftInWay Director of Engineering, Dr. Boris Frolov, and Mechanical Engineer, Dr. Maksym Burlaka.
Interested in scheduling an appointment with us at Power-Gen? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll see you there!
This week’s TBT webinar, Design of Impulse and Reaction Turbines Webinar #2: Applications for Supercritical CO2 Cycle, discusses important considerations for using high-density working fluids with small turbine sizes. Structural constraints and performance are considered and the full design process is demonstrated.
This webinar covers:
- Supercritical CO2 cycle overview
- Estimation of impulse and reaction turbine application rationality in modern supercritical CO2 cycles taking into consideration structural requirements and performance goals
- Comparison of CO2 and steam turbines (impulse and reaction) for the same boundary conditions
- Detailed flow path design with AxSTREAM
Who should watch:
- Mechanical and aerospace engineers working on conceptual turbine design
- Operation/Overhaul/Engineering managers seeking to increase energy efficiency
- Everyone interested in how SoftInWay Inc., and AxSTREAM can help them with creating more efficient Turbomachinery
It’s Throwback Thursday and we’re sharing another webinar!
Are you looking for ways to increase your energy cycle efficiency?
Do you want to enhance your thermal or nuclear electricity generation project with advanced power conversion technologies?
Are you interested in expanding into the Supercritical CO2 Cycle business?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, watch “Supercritical CO2 Cycle – Advanced Power Conversion Technology,” which we recorded and put in our resource center! Learn more about technological advantages and most effective solutions in S-CO2 Cycle Turbine design!
During this 1-hour webinar you’ll learn about:
- Overall S-CO2 Cycle Overview
- Heat balance simulation in modern software
- Most common modern turbomachinery design challenges
- Leveraging AxSTREAM to help you with S-CO2 Cycle design
Who should watch:
- Engineering managers interested in developing S-CO2 Cycle turbomachinery
- Mechanical and aerospace engineers working on CO2 Cycle / Super Critical Carbon Dioxide Brayton Cycle and looking for optimization strategies
- Scientists and developers in the field of alternative energy sources (research and study)
- Everyone interested in how SoftInWay Inc. and AxSTREAM can help you with advanced Turbomachinery Design
Power Generation Week is fast approaching and engineering companies throughout the world are frantically preparing. From December 7th to the 11th, over 1,400 power generation companies with 22,000 power professionals will be gathered in Orlando, Florida to exhibit their latest developments and to see what the rest of the industry is up to.
POWER-GEN International is not just a chance for companies to exhibit. The conference features more than 200 of the industry’s top speakers, upwards of 50 educational conference sessions, and variety of networking events.
SoftInWay will be at POWER GEN in booth 4854. We will be showing visitors the new AxSTREAM V 3.3 and its pool of new upgrades and capabilities. We are redefining the meaning of Turbomachinery Optimization and pushing efficiency further than previously believed possible.
Our new AxSTREAM features have grown from the needs and desires of our clients, who shape each and every one of our engineering goals. At SoftInWay, we view helping our clients as a means of improving our products and services, and continuing to better the turbomachinery industry.
Will you be at Power Gen? Stop by and see us at booth 4854!